عضو

تاريخ التسجيل: Feb 2010
المشاركات: 3
افتراضي

Death Of Sheik Salem, Beginning Of End Of Era

By Hilaliya on October 12, 2007 6:46 AM | 2 Comments

Death Of Sheik Salem, Beginning Of End Of Era
'Other Voices'
Reprinted From 'Arab Times' (12th October, 2007)
By Amer Al-Hilal
Sheik Salem Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah's death represents the beginning of an end of an era for Kuwait and its people. Indeed, what moved me about Sheik Salem was his compassion, one of many astonishing qualities that made him an immense leader, but most of all, a genuine human being.
In my humble opinion, when Sheik Salem assumed the hefty mantle of the Chairman of the National Committee for the POWs and Missing Affairs, he truly began to achieve greatness and thereby entered Kuwaiti legend.
In 1993, a colleague from KUNA and I volunteered to join the media team of the National Committee for POW and Missing Affairs. When Sheik Salem heard of our joining the team he personally asked to meet with us, we were led into his office where he warmly welcomed us, spending at least 45 minutes talking about the importance of volunteerism, our roles in the organization, and the POW issue. Here we were, two young volunteers amiably received and treated like professionals; indeed, we left the meeting, pleasantly astounded that Sheik Salem had taken the time out to meet with us. I could not help but be impressed by Sheik Salem's revealing, warm and candid approach, he had the aura of a father figure; I admit I liked him right away. From behind the scenes, he monitored our work, encouraged our efforts, always generous with praise and acknowledgment.
It was an invaluable period for us, under Sheik Salem's tutelage we travelled to European destinations highlighting the POW issue, we helped organize the famed yellow-colored media campaigns ("Help Free Our POWS") we visited homes of the missing, the latter aspect the most emotionally excruciating part of our work, alas this was done on a limited basis. However, Sheik Salem did not have that luxury; on a daily basis he dealt with the emotional rollercoaster of the hurting POW families, as well as juggling POW-related political efforts related to the Red Cross, Arab League and Geneva's UN Tripartite Commission, not to mention innumerable other governmental tasks. He carried an aching burden on his shoulders; he couldn't just 'switch off,' discarding his duties at work.
At his physical peak, Sheik Salem was a vigorous, handsome gentleman, who could disarm the most cynical of pundits. I saw him weave some of his magic first-hand during a press conference; he called journalists by their first names, briefly joking with them, patiently and assiduously answering questions, they were in the palm of his hand. On a personal level, Sheik Salem possessed a splendid combination of charm, modesty and authority (few Kuwaiti leaders encompass all those qualities). But most of all, we felt like he cared about us, about the POWS, about Kuwaitis, he had an emotional stake in our lives, and we cherished him for it.
I remember his resolute spirit in the face of health issues, specifically his visit to the Embassy of Kuwait in Washington DC during the late 90s (we were serving as diplomats under his brother, Ambassador Sheik Dr. Mohamed Sabah Al-Salem Al-Sabah -the current Minister of Foreign Affairs). Sheik Salem, accompanied by his private physician, sat with us in the Ambassador's 'diwaniya', recounting the latest developments concerning UN Security Council 686-formed Tripartite Commission - under the auspices of the ICRC (its mandate involved the search for Kuwait POWs) - and Iraq's continued refusal to cooperate with it. Sheik Salem seemed frustrated, distraught yet hopeful that our POWs would return. During the conversation he stated a line I have never been able to forget to this day: "I would crawl on my knees to Baghdad if I knew it would guarantee the freedom of the POWs." Remember, we were at the height of animosity between Kuwait and the Iraqi regime; Sheik Salem's unconventional statement was bitterly honest, straight from the heart and devoid of the usual political rhetoric, and I admired his candor, it renewed my affection and reverence for this gentleman, who defiantly kept clinging on to his responsibilities towards the POWs and their families, even though his health was diminishing by the year.
I believe Sheik Salem's legacy will be a humanitarian one, on a personal level, his death unnerved me for a variety of reasons, notably he symbolized a fragment of my youth, a period during the early 1990s when young Kuwaitis such as myself - fresh from serving with the American forces in the Gulf War and eager to rebuild Kuwait - worked for men of his caliber, who embraced us in the pursuit of noble, humanitarian ideals; additionally, he represented a special era for Kuwaitis, when the bonds of affection between Ruling Family members and "the people" were at their most potent.
I was distressed by Sheik Salem's death but also consoled by the fact that he was longer at the mercy of a decade-old health tribulation. Most of all, however, I was soothed by the fact that he passed away on the 27th of Ramadan, surely this was a blessed and holy omen, a testament to an outstanding human being.

'Shepherds' Of Our Conscience

By Hilaliya on September 24, 2007 1:34 PM | 9 Comments | No TrackBacks

'After Iftar' Column
'SHEPHERDS' OF OUR CONSCIENCE
By Amer Al-Hilal
Reprinted From Arab Times (24th September, 2007)
I truly believe that the majority of Kuwait and its citizens are upright, compassionate people who believe in charity, in all its forms, and fear God. Indeed, religion is invaluable to the fabric of society: the charity organizations functioning to assist the needy; distribution of Iftars and meals; the Zakat allocated to society's poor, among other examples are a tribute to this country and a testament to the spiritual caliber of the average citizen. It is insufficient, however, because society demands that two main components be evident in order to maintain a healthy equilibrium, safeguarding citizens and their rights: Justice ("Adalah") and Compassion ("Rahma").
Kuwait is on the precipice of a spiritual and moral descent, every so often sliding into a 'Devil's Playground': escalating violent crime, embezzlement and corruption, discrimination and intolerance, physical abuse, rapes, among other transgressions on basic human rights. One cannot pick up a newspaper without reading of someone being randomly picked off the street and sexually assaulted, of abuse, of murder, among other crimes (this very newspaper recently created a 'Kuwait Crime' section online due to rising crime).
White collar crime is on the rise as well.
One can embezzle hundreds of thousands (if not millions) from ministries (such as Communications) and remain on the job, paying off their larceny in installments like a regular bank loan, not even the threat of a sacking on the horizon.
Others play for much bigger stakes and walk unscathed among us.
Visa ("Iqama") traders continue to smuggle thousands of laborers whom they will eventually disown (making millions in the process) - Kuwaiti movers and shakers know exactly who the culprits are but are impotent to do anything - and our inaction continues to lead to human rights abuses and tarnishes Kuwait's reputation abroad.
Neglect on the part of corporations leads to unnecessary deaths of employees. Committees are formed to investigate. Months later results are shrouded in secrecy and the guilty are acquitted.
And the tragic farce goes on. It's in your local paper everyday. No one is accountable.
How can we expect our society to instill respect of the law and human rights when the law is not impartial and when we do not castigate the guilty? The laws that protect the innocent are in place; however, loopholes in the legal structure and an inability to implement the law effectively on all individuals, not just the weak, is fueling despair, distrust and cynicism on the Kuwaiti street - this in turn leads to political quandaries delaying progress and development, but most of all it sends a disturbing message to the young generations: "Don't respect the law. The law is for the weak."
The Holy Quran states: "O ye who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest ye swerve, and if ye distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that ye do." [An-Nisa 4:35]
As long as there is no fear of punishment on the street level and in the upper echelons, corruption will continue to be rampant, crime and injustice will continue to flourish.
In conjunction with a firm and impartial implementation of the law, a society must also show empathy; unfortunately, a lack of compassion at a civic and governmental level is also evident, affecting health care, education and employee rights. Social unrest is on the rise. It seems like every ministry and government institution is on strike or threatening to strike due to unacceptable employee benefits (or lack thereof). Newspapers contain full page ads by employees of the oil, health, justice and aviation sectors (among others) demanding more rights and better financial incentives.
Doesn't charity begin at home? God has blessed this nation with riches beyond belief and yet we choose to disregard our home, our community. We neglect investing in our infrastructure: our neighborhood clinics, hospitals, our electrical grid, our water resources, our roads; we neglect building shelters; we neglect building proper adoption homes for orphans (victims of broken homes and illicit marriages). Factories are being built in downtown civilian areas such as Hawalli and Salmiya and close to the city endangering our children. The Bidoon humanitarian issue continues to loom, a dark blemish on our heritage and reputation (it isn't sufficient that we deny them free education or birth certificates, we also have to be malicious and deny them education in foreign countries as well) - I could go on but I think you get the picture and it isn't the embodiment of what Islam should stand for.
Islam's core principles revolve around fighting injustice and offering compassion to all members of society, irrespective of race, gender, ethnic group or religion. The society must protect its own and care for its weak and underprivileged (the poor, orphans, the abused etc) - at both a civic and legislative level. Irrespective of whether we are Muslims or not, we are members of this society: shepherds of our kin, our businesses, our employees, our neighbors, and our community. We all need to get involved, need to speak out against injustice whether we live in affluent comfortable neighborhoods or dingy ghettos.
'Reform' is a word that is bandied about too effortlessly in Kuwait, but you cannot have true reform if the social order does not take care of its own and has double standards meting out justice. It is only by directly facing the dark abyss of society's shortcomings that Kuwait can underline the hidden causes of our hindrances and take back its rightful and historic place as a vanguard of progress, equality and integrity.

'A Call To Web Calls' From Kuwait

By Hilaliya on March 7, 2007 9:59 AM | 16 Comments

A CALL TO WEB CALLS
by Amer Al-Hilal
Reprinted from Arab Times (10th March, 2007)
The Kuwait Ministry of Communications apparently is not familiar with globalization, the shrinking 'world village' and the communications revolution sweeping the world. The bureaucratic, backward MOC mentality is stuck in a 1985 time warp. As reported the last few days, the Ministry of Communications has blocked Internet Telephony Services. One could see this particular train wreck coming ever since one of the MOC Under-Secretaries complained a few months ago of losing "20 million KD" in revenue per year due to the Net services.
But let us ponder the issue at hand what is KD 20 million to the MOC? Is this amount more important than allowing our expatriates and businesses to communicate in a swifter, less expensive manner via the net? The majority of citizens in Kuwait are expatriates, and many of them rely on services like Net To Phone because they cannot pay the exorbitant prices by the MOC. These tactics by the MOC are akin to Mafia extortion tactics (arrests, intimidation, blocked sites), forcing citizens to use high cost, sub par services. We are dealing with basic human rights here, the right to communicate with family and friends and not pay outrageous prices.
I am positive tens of millions more get wasted due to corruption and mismanagement at the MOC. The Kuwait international rates are among the highest in the Middle East and the world, technology is catching up; internet telephony services are one day going to make charges obsolete, so the MOC needs to 'get with the program' : preparing itself for its essential and eventual transformation from a traditional, bloated, pedantic government bureaucracy to an "Authority" that provides services and quality control.
Thousands of people are moving away from landlines (part of a global trend) and obtaining mobile numbers (they are the real MOC revenue-killer) - does the MOC intend to sue Wataniya and MTC as well?
Former MOC Minister Masouma Mubarak should have spent more time attempting to 'fix' Kuwait Airways (which is now being sued by 17 stranded passengers in Thailand) than trying to milk every last cent out of poor expatriates and citizens attempting to communicate with others via the Net (I sincerely look forward to a high-tech, pioneering technocrat being offered the MOC portfolio, not Ms. Mubarak again). I also hope expatriates and their representatives in Kuwait help pressure the MOC to revers its course.
For a ministry that has proclaimed its willingness to 'reform,' 'modernize' and avail Kuwait of the latest technological developments in the Communications field, it has failed miserably to keep up with modern trends, limit ISP charges and upgrade its digital and broadband services to be on par with most modern states. The MOC needs to move away from its bureaucratic, inefficient and intrusive Orwellian world into the 21st century.

Embrace Tolerance

By Hilaliya on October 15, 2006 7:39 AM | 7 Comments

An Old Kuwaiti Neighborhood (from Kuwait.Past.Com)
'After Iftar Corner'
Embrace Tolerance
Reprinted From Arab Times (15th October, 2006)
By Amer Al-Hilal
During the blessed month of "Ramadan," Muslims fast, abstain from impure thoughts and actions, donate to charity, and aspire to live up to the ideals of our beloved Prophet Mohammed (Peace Be Upon Him) by worshiping Allah, the All-Mighty, through their hearts and minds.
Tolerance, humility, civility and compassion, I was raised to believe, were noble characteristics that required constant support and encouragement. These characteristics in an individual are an offshoot of a decent upbringing by conscientious parents everywhere; indeed they are among many pillars of Islam, and are embodied by the character of our beloved Prophet Mohammed (Peace Be Upon Him).
The origins of Kuwait, prior to the oil boom, were also founded on tolerance, kindness and an innate curiosity of other cultures and peoples. Our citizens were pearl divers and merchants, they traveled far and wide, and they become proficient at languages - ranging from Swahili to Indian; our livelihood depended on it. Kuwait was far from affluent during those harsh years; people woke up at dawn, women would work tirelessly to bake food and take care of the homes and - by and large - men would do manual labor. Nevertheless, the community was phenomenal: strong, vibrant, and enriched by a sense of camaraderie, of belonging, united by faith and love. All would share sorrow and happiness; for instance, wedding celebrations would last for days. Long pilgrimages to distant exotic lands, by camel caravans and by the traditional wooden Kuwaiti "Dhows" would span months, occasionally longer. The women and children stayed behind working hard, protecting other's homes and possessions. Indeed, we were expatriates and laborers in other countries, away from our families for extended periods.

An Old Kuwaiti Gate (from Kuwait.Past.Com)
And yet we were a beacon of tolerance and kindness. Kuwait was the foremost Gulf country to build an American Hospital, to embrace non-Muslims into their communities, notably missionaries, leading to the establishment of churches and places of worship here. We were an open, transparent and God-fearing society; our minds were wide open and our arms were ready to welcome strangers who might ride through the visage of a distant sandstorm into our "Kut," (the word Kuwait derives from it, meaning "Little Fort").

We never were a country that fueled fanaticism, bigotry, injustice, corruption: rising embezzlement, shopkeepers being attacked because they stocked Christmas trees, foreigners being targeted because of race or country of origin, Kuwaiti cultural legacy being shunned (because they include music or dance), rising censorship against all forms of intellectual works, among many other examples. These events are un-Islamic; a warped, narrow-minded form of ignorance roaming under the guise of religion.
Celebrating A Feast (from Kuwait.Past.Com)
Tolerance, compassion, sincerity, humility, treating individuals with respect - regardless of rank, race, ethnic background or religion; these are both Islamic ideals and traditional Kuwaiti ideals, they are a form of charity: pure in nature, high in stature and evocative of equality and goodwill.
These ideals should be embraced, always, not just during the holy month of Ramadan. They were the ideals of our beloved Prophet Mohammed (Peace Be Upon Him) and a way of life. Only by acquiring knowledge of our Prophet Mohammed (Peace Be Upon Him) and emulating his gentle, just and compassionate traits, can we become better Muslims.

Masses Tired Of Rhetoric On 'National Unity'
رد مع اقتباس